1/3 to 1/2 English cucumber, grated or cut into matchsticks
3 large or 4 medium green (unripe) tomatoes, tops and bottoms trimmed, cut into 12 rounds total
About 1 cup flour
7 large eggs
3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 rounded tbsp. curry powder
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 scallions, white and light-green parts only, finely chopped
1/2 cup (loosely packed) mixed fresh mint and cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 large jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbsp.)
About 2/3 cup safflower, vegetable, or canola oil, for frying
5 oz. mixed salad greens
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
3 tbsp. EVOO
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1. Place the cucumber in a strainer; season with salt. Let drain for 20 minutes.
2. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on a folded clean kitchen towel; season with salt. Let drain for 15 minutes.
3. Set up a breading station with 3 shallow dishes. Place the flour in 1 dish; beat 3 eggs in another. In the third, mix the breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and curry powder; season with salt and pepper.
4. Press out any liquid from the cucumber and place in a medium bowl. Mix in the yogurt, scallions, herbs, and chile. Stir the lime juice into the raita.
5. In a large shallow skillet, heat the oil over medium to medium-high. In 2 batches, coat the sliced tomatoes in the flour, then the eggs, and then the breadcrumbs, pressing so the crumbs adhere. Fry until deep golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack or paper towels to drain. Fry the remaining eggs in the skillet until the whites are set, about 3 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, toss the greens, cherry tomatoes, onion, EVOO, and vinegar; season. Toss until coated. Layer the fried tomatoes on plates. Top with the eggs and raita. Serve with the salad.