Recipe by Rachael Ray
This recipe originally appeared in our Summer 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
- 1 tbsp. each chili powder and ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. each granulated garlic and granulated onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, sour cream, or Mexican crema
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. medium shrimp—peeled and deveined, without tails
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Crumbled Cotija or queso fresco, for topping
- Sliced pickled jalapeños and lime wedges, for serving
1. In a small bowl, mix the spices and salt for the rub.
2. In a food processor or blender, pulse the yogurt, olive oil, 1/4 cup water, the cilantro, avocado, scallions, lime juice, garlic, and jalapeño until fairly smooth. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the spice rub.
4. In another medium bowl, toss the cabbage with half of the sauce.
5. Working over a gas flame or in a hot cast-iron skillet, cook the tortillas until charred in spots, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Wrap the tortillas in a kitchen towel to keep them soft and warm.
6. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque in the centers and browned at the edges, 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Build the tacos with the tortillas, slaw, shrimp, and cheese. Serve with the lime wedges, pickled jalapeños, and the remaining sauce.