Recipe by Rachael Ray
This recipe originally appeared in our Winter/Spring 2021 issue. Get the magazine here.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 slice meaty bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 rounded tsp. Dijon or grainy Dijon
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups (packed) spinach, stems removed, or baby spinach
- 1 to 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. drained marinated mushrooms
- A handful of fried onions or potato sticks (from a can or pouch)
- 1 hard-boiled egg, halved (store-bought or prepped)
1. For the dressing, in a medium skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high.
2. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Add the shallot and garlic; stir for 2 minutes.
4. Add the vinegar and maple syrup. Swirl the skillet, then remove from the heat.
5. Off heat, whisk in the Dijon and thyme. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
6. For the salad, in a large bowl, toss the spinach with some of the warm dressing; season.
7. Top with the radishes, mushrooms, fried onions, and egg. Add more dressing, if desired.
"A satisfying main-course salad in less than 5 minutes? Yep, it can be done!"-Rach