- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 10 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can hominy, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 1/2 heart romaine lettuce, shredded
In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pork and season with salt and pepper; add the cumin and allspice. Cook until brown and crumbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic and jalapeno.
Using a food processor, pulse the tomatillos until coarsely chopped, about a few seconds.
Stir the tomatillos into the pork, lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken broth and hominy and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and turn off the heat.
Squeeze 1/2 lime over the pork; stir. Squeeze the other 1/2 lime over the avocado. Serve the pork in shallow bowls with the avocado, tortilla chips and lettuce on top.