- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2- 3/4 pound smoked yellow cheddar, smoky rind trimmed, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 pound sharp yellow cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) diced green chiles, drained
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 rounded tablespoon yellow mustard, such as French's
- Pico de gallo or salsa, for topping
Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
For the queso sauce, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium. Add the shallots, garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cornstarch, then add the milk. Bring to a bubble, then add the cream cheese, stirring until it melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Add both cheddars and stir in a figure-eight motion until melted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the canned chiles and reduce the heat to low.
Salt the boiling water. Add the pasta; cook to al dente.
Stir the mustard into the queso sauce and remove from the heat. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Top with the pico de gallo.