- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1 turn of the pan
- 3/4 pound chorizo, casings removed (if desired) and meat chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 pimiento peppers or roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 14 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup quick-cooking or instant polenta
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO (1 turn of the pan) and the chorizo. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, then add the onion and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the black beans and the pimientos and heat through, another 1 to 2 minutes.
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil and stir in the pumpkin. Return to a boil, whisk in the polenta and stir until it masses together, 2 minutes. (Watch out for splatters.) Remove the polenta from the heat and add the thyme, salt, pepper and cheese. Adjust the seasonings. Pile the polenta on plates and top with the chorizo and beans. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.