Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
This no-bake dessert gets gussied up with crunchy candied pepitas.
Start to Finish: 15 minutes (plus 4 hours for chilling)
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin (from one 15-oz. can)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. each ground allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg (or 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 store-bought graham cracker piecrust
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 2 tbsp. sugar
1. Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in the pumpkin, vanilla, and spices.
2. Using an electric mixer, in another large bowl, beat 3/4 cup cream and 2 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar until firm peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin filling just until blended. Pour the filling into the piecrust. Cover the pie and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
3. In a small skillet, toss the pepitas and 2 tbsp. sugar over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns brown and the pepitas are toasted and coated with the melted sugar, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pepitas to a sheet of foil, breaking them up a bit, and let cool.
4. In a small bowl, beat the remaining 1/2 cup cream and 1 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar until firm peaks form. Dollop the cream onto the pie. Top with the pepitas.
See all our Thanksgiving recipes for planners and procrastinators here.