- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds prawns or jumbo shrimppeeled, deveined
- Grill seasoning, such as McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 peri-peri or other hot chile peppers, such as jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bottle of dark stout beer, such as Guinness brand
- 1 bay leaf, dried or fresh
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 - 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, a palmful
Coat the prawns with the grill seasoning. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When the olive oil is hot, place about half the prawns in the skillet in a single layer and quickly sear them, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and reserve. Repeat with the remaining prawns.
Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, then add the chile pepper and the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beer and bay leaf. Boil over high heat to reduce the liquid by half.
Return the prawns to the skillet with the sauce and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and remove the bay leaf. Stir in the butter and cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.