- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 3/4- 2 pounds pork tenderloins, sliced 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 cups merlot wine
- 18 pitted prunes (6 ounces), halved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (2 generous handfuls)
- Crusty whole grain rolls, to pass around the table
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Gently pound out the pork medallions to 1/4 inch thick and season with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the skillet in batches and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and set aside.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, to the skillet. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and prunes, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, nutmeg, cinnamon, some salt and about 1 teaspoon pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until the prunes are plumped, about 5 minutes. Return the pork to the skillet; heat through. Add the butter to the sauce and stir until melted.
Serve the pork and prunes on plates and top with the parsley. Pass the roll around the table.