- 1 8 ounce box biscuit mix, such as Jiffy
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 4 bone-in, 1-inch-thick pork chops or 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . Prepare the biscuit mix according to package directions, adding the cayenne. Drop 8 scoops of dough onto a baking sheet and brush with a few tbsp. cream. Bake on the upper rack until golden.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 4 minutes.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chops or chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan and brown for a few minutes on each side. Transfer the pan to the lower rack of the oven to finish cooking, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir the tomatoes and chicken stock into the vegetables. When the tomatoes are hot, stir in the remaining cream and simmer the gravy for 10 minutes to thicken.
Top the chops or chicken with the tomato gravy and serve the hot biscuits alongside.