- 3 fat, fresh jalapeno chile peppers
- EVOO or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 1 red fresno chile pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- A small handful cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds coarsely ground beef sirloin (lean) or chuck (fattier)
- 12 slider rolls, such as 3-inch brioche rolls or cornmeal topped
Preheat an outdoor grill, indoor griddle or grill pan to medium-high heat. Cut off and discard the tops of the jalapenos. Using an apple corer or fork handle, scoop out and discard the seeds; slice the jalapenos into strips or round.
Heat a little EVOO in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the jalapeno and fresno chile peppers and toss for a couple of minutes until crisp-tender and charred at the edges.
Combine the cream cheese, onion, garlic, cilantro and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Season the beef with salt and pepper; form 12 patties (thinner at the center). Coat with EVOO; grill or griddle for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and top with some cream cheese mixture and sliced cheese.
Grill with the lid down (or tent with foil) until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve on the rolls topped with the chile pepper slices.