- 1 1/3 cups ruby port
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 2-inch strip orange peel
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 pounds sliced fresh plums
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cream, plus 3 tbsp. more for drop biscuits
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Additional cream for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sugar
In a small saucepan, boil ruby port, brown sugar, orange juice and orange peel, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes. Discard the orange peel; whisk in cornstarch. In a large bowl, mix plums with the port mixture until the fruit is evenly coated. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine 3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp. cream with orange zest and mix into dry ingredients just until the dough comes together.
Using a spoon, dollop the dough in craggy mounds, spacing evenly on top of the plum mixture. Dab the biscuits with cream, then sprinkle them with 1 tbsp. sugar. Bake at 400 degrees until the filling bubbles and a toothpick inserted into the biscuits comes out clean, tenting with foil if the biscuits are browning too quickly, 35 to 40 minutes.