- 4 large portabello 4 mushroom caps, gills scraped off
- Olive oil, for brushing, or olive oil cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup steak sauce, such as HP Sauce, for basting
- 8 hand-cut slices good-quality white, wheat or pumpernickel bread, toasted
- 2 bunches upland cress or watercress, trimmed
- 6 - 8 ounces Stilton cheese or smoked blue cheese, preferably Oscar's (oscarsadksmokehouse .com)
- 4 thick slices beefsteak tomato, seasoned with salt and coarse black pepper
Heat a grill pan, griddle or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high.
Brush portabello caps with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill the mushrooms until tender, turning once, 6 to 8 minutes. Liberally baste with HP Sauce.
Build sandwiches with the toast, mushrooms, watercress, blue cheese and tomatoes. Cut the sandwiches corner to corner.