- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 fresh pineapple--peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground whole grain cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar over medium heat, stirring, until melted. Add the pineapple and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Arrange the pineapple decoratively in the pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar. In a small bowl, combine the applesauce and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Beat in the eggs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add the applesauce mixture and stir just until incorporated. Spread the batter gently and evenly on top of the pineapple in the skillet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, loosen the cake from the pan and invert onto a platter.