- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound penne rigate pasta
- 2 firm zucchini
- About 3 tbsp. EVOO
- 1 fresno chile pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup grated pecorino-romano cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts, toasted
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, halve the zucchini lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Thinly slice into 1/4-inch-by- 2-inch strips--think fat matchsticks.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Stir in the chile and garlic for a minute. Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the lime juice to the zucchini and stir in the butter to melt. Add the pasta, parsley, mint, tarragon (or basil), a handful of cheese and the reserved pasta cooking water. Toss for 1 to 2 minutes. Top with more cheese and the pistachios.