- 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 carrots--peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 rounded tablespoons flour
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 rounded tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon, dill or parsley
- 1 8 ounce box biscuit mix (about 2 cups), such as Jiffy Buttermilk Biscuit Mix, batter prepared according to package directions
Heat a couple of tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add the butter to melt, then add the carrots, celery and onion; season with salt, pepper and the bay leaf. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots soften, 7 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on the vegetables and stir for a minute, then whisk in the chicken (or vegetable) stock until thickened. Stir in the mustard and peas. For a thinner soup, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups water with the stock.
Add the chopped fresh herbs to the biscuit batter and combine. When the soup is bubbling, form the batter into small dumplings using 2 spoons, then drop onto the surface of the soup. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook the dumplings, gently stirring, until just firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the soup and dumplings to shallow bowls; discard the bay leaf.