Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
This recipe originally appeared in our Summer 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 30 minutes (plus chilling)
Servings: Makes 6 cups
- 5 large peaches (about 2 1/2 lb.), halved and pitted
- 3 oz. country white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow or orange tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1. Wrap 1 peach half in plastic and refrigerate for the garnish. Coarsely chop the remaining peaches.
2. In a blender, mix the chopped peaches, 1 cup bread cubes, the bell pepper, tomato, onion, 1/2 cup EVOO, vinegar, and 1 cup water until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Chill until cold, about 4 hours.
3. In a medium bowl, toss 1 cup bread cubes with 2 tbsp. EVOO; season. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add the bread and toss until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the croutons to a plate. Finely chop the reserved peach half.
4. Divide the gazpacho among bowls. Top with the croutons and the chopped peach half. Drizzle with EVOO.