- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce string beans, thawed
- Paprika, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and boil until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. Add the stick of butter and the milk and mash. Set aside.
Place the eggs in a small saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the eggs and place in a bowl of ice water; when cool, peel and chop.
In a large skillet over high heat, brown the beef, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, the olives, cilantro, tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste.
In a 9-by-13-inch pan, layer half the mashed potatoes, the ground-beef mixture, string beans and chopped eggs. Top with the remaining mashed potatoes, brush with the melted butter and dust with paprika. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.