- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or egg fettuccine pasta
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/4- 1/3 pound pancetta, finely diced
- 4 ears corn, kernels scraped from the cob, or 1 1/2 to 2 cups thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 small fresno or italian cherry chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 extra-large organic egg yolks, beaten (reserve the egg whites for baking or breakfasts)
- 1/2 cup each grated (nutty) parmigiano-reggiano and (tangy) pecorino-romano cheese
- A handful chives, snipped into 1-inch pieces
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, heat the EVOO in a large skillet, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and brown for about 3 minutes. Add the corn kernels and lightly brown their edges, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the chile peppers, garlic and thyme and stir for 2 minutes. Add the parsley and wine and simmer on low heat.
In a small bowl, beat the reserved pasta cooking water into the egg yolks to temper them.
Add the pasta and egg yolks to the corn sauce and toss. Remove from the heat, add a handful of each cheese and toss vigorously to form a silky sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and top with the chives and remaining cheese.