- 3 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 32 ounce container vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces penne rigate pasta
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- Grated cheese, for serving
In a soup pot, heat 3 tbsp. EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and fennel seeds and cook until softened. Add the celery, leek, carrot, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups water, the vegetable or chicken stock and the tomato sauce.
Bring the liquid to a boil and stir in the pasta. Cook until al dente, about 12 minutes. Add the escarole at the end to wilt. Serve the soup with a drizzle of EVOO and some cheese on top.