- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, plus 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 plum tomato, finely diced
- 4 large scallops
In a food processor or blender, pulse the basil leaves until finely chopped. Add the pine nuts, cheese, garlic and lemon juice. Turn the machine back on and add 3/4 cup of the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Season the pesto with salt and pepper. Place the pesto in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
In a small bowl, combine the tomato and shredded basil and set aside. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add the scallops and sear until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a plate. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of the pesto on each scallop and arrange the tomato and basil around the scallops. Serve immediately.