Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Every Day Test Kitchen Director
"If you're making a double batch, you can reuse the cooking oil; just be sure to first remove any floating crispy bits using a small strainer." – Tracey Seaman
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 lbs.), breastbone, backbone and skin removed, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Combine buttermilk and garlic. In a resealable plastic bag, soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture for 30 minutes (or up to 12 hours).
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Remove the chicken pieces and coat them evenly with the breadcrumb mixture.
3. Drizzle with EVOO; place chicken pieces on a parchment-lined sheet and bake at 425° until the crust is crisp and the meat is cooked, 45 minutes.
Try our Classic Fried Chicken