- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 4 1/2 cups instant rice, uncooked
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 large sweet yellow onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick, separated into rings
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons buttermilk, the mayonnaise, chives and hot sauce. Season with salt; refrigerate.
Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and remaining 1 cup buttermilk.
Using a food processor and working in batches, finely grind the rice, about 3 minutes; transfer to a large, shallow baking dish.
Fill a large Dutch oven with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium-high heat until the oil registers 360 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Meanwhile, working one at a time, coat the onion rings with flour, dip them into the buttermilk mixture, then coat with the rice, pressing gently to adhere. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
Fry the onion rings, about 8 at a time, turning once or twice with a slotted spoon, until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with the sauce.