Recipe by Renae E. Wilson
This recipe originally appeared in our Holiday 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
Servings: Makes about 20 bites
- 1 box (8.5 oz.) corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced collard greens
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread in greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake until just golden, about 12 minutes. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and collards. Cook just until collards wilt, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer until flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Cut cornbread into 2-inch squares. Top with vegetable mixture.