Recipe by Maangchi
This recipe originally appeared in our Winter/Spring 2021 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 1 hour 40 minutes
Makes about 3 1/2 quarts
- 1 lb. Korean radish or daikon (2 medium), peeled and sliced into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 12 to 15 large dried anchovies, intestines and heads removed
- 1 oz. kombu (dried kelp)
1. In a large pot with a lid, add 4 1/2 quarts water, the radish, onion, scallions, anchovies, and kombu. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, partially cover, and cook until the vegetables and kombu are tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook at a low boil, with lid ajar, until the radish is translucent and the broth is fragrant, about 45 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer, with lid ajar, for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Let cool. Stock can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.