- Prep Time
- 2 9 ounce packages fresh linguine
- 1 12 - 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- Black pepper
- 36 mussels (about 2 pounds), debearded
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is working, using a food processor, puree the roasted peppers.
In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the wine and reduce for about a minute, then stir in the pureed peppers and the tomatoes; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the mussels to the pan, cover tightly and cook until the shells open, about 5 minutes (discard any unopened mussels).
Divide the mussels among 4 large, shallow bowls and spoon a little sauce on top. Using tongs, transfer the cooked pasta from its water to the sauce in the skillet and toss to coat. Pile the pasta alongside the mussels.