Recipe by Vallery Lomas
This recipe originally appeared in our Harvest 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 1 cup water, milk, or nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp. EVOO
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster, maitake, and/or stemmed shiitake), torn or sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus shaved Parmesan for garnish
- 1/2 tbsp. butter
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish
1. In a small pan, bring the water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the oats and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the toppings: In a blender, puree 1/3 cup tarragon and 1/4 cup oil until smooth. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tbsp. oil over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir 1/4 cup Parmesan and the butter into the oatmeal; season. Transfer the oatmeal to a bowl. Top with the mushrooms and shaved Parmesan. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. of the tarragon oil and sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Garnish with more tarragon leaves.
Note: For the most concentrated flavor, make sure you cook the mushrooms until they’re nice and brown.