Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 lbs. rainbow carrots—peeled, halved lengthwise if large, and cut on an angle into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups red rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 lbs. mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster, and stemmed shiitakes), sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. On a baking sheet, toss the carrots with 2 tbsp. oil and the rosemary; season with salt and pepper and spread out in an even layer. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan with a lid, bring the stock to a boil. Add the rice and bay leaves; season with salt. Bring back to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork; discard the bay leaves.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the onion; season. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; mix in the thyme. In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp. oil over medium-high. Add the mushrooms; season. Cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; stir until the mushrooms are browned, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
4. In a large bowl, mix the carrots, rice, mushroom mixture, and parsley.