- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 6 portobello mushrooms -- stemmed, gills scraped and caps cut into strips
- Splash of sherry, brandy or beef stock
- 1 large heart of romaine, chopped
- 4 - 5 ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/2 red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, or 6 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- About 1/3 cup EVOO
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled smoked blue cheese, preferably Oscar's (oscarsadksmokehouse.com), or Stilton
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, preferably Blue Diamond, coarsely chopped
In a large skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until deeply browned and fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sherry and stir, 1 minute, then transfer the mushrooms to a plate; let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, celery, onion and parsley.
In a small bowl, whisk the Worcestershire, thyme and mustard; gradually whisk in the EVOO in a slow, steady stream. Season the dressing with salt and coarsely ground pepper. Toss the salad with the dressing and transfer to a platter. Top with the cheese, nuts and mushrooms.