- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, hen-of-the-woods or maitake), thinly sliced
- 1/4 head savoy cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 small red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- About 1 tsp chinese five-spice powder
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tamari (or liquid amino)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the oil, 3 turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cabbage, scallions, chile, garlic and ginger; season with pepper. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the shrimp and season with the five-spice powder. Stir-fry until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock and tamari (or liquid amino). Lower the heat to medium and cook through.
Transfer the pasta to bowls. Ladle in the shrimp mixture and sauce. Serve with chopsticks.