- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 4 zucchini (about 2 pounds), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 pint low-fat cottage cheese
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the eggplant and zucchini in two large bowls and season with salt; let stand for 40 minutes. Rinse the vegetables and pat dry. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared pans and toss with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Roast until golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a 9-by-11-inch baking dish. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees .
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat, for about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the meat sauce over the eggplant and zucchini. Top with half of the gruyere.
Using a food processor, puree the cottage cheese. Spoon the puree onto the moussaka, top with the remaining gruyere and bake for 17 minutes. Transfer to the broiler and cook for 3 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.