Recipe by Laura Rege
This recipe originally appeared in our Harvest 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 2 tbsp. harissa paste
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups butternut squash cubes
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the harissa and two-thirds of the garlic. Cook, stirring often, until aromatic, about 1 minute.
2. Add the squash, tomatoes, and lentils to the pot. Add the stock and season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and squash are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the remaining garlic. Season with salt.
4. Stir the chickpeas into the soup and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup cilantro. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with the garlicky yogurt and more cilantro.