- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 pound carrots—peeled, quartered and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 oz. each), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onion and carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the stock, chickpeas and tomatoes. In a blender, puree 2 cups of the mixture. Stir the puree into the stew, season and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes; season. Serve with the cilantro and lemon zest.