- 1 large bulb fennel, very thinly sliced, with a few fronds reserved for garnish
- 6 ribs celery with leafy tops, very thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 bunch scallions, very thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 lemons, juiced
- EVOO, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 tablespoons capers, drained
- 16 - 20 large shrimp, peeled (tails left on) and deveined
- 16 - 20 large sage leaves
- 16 - 20 thin slices pancetta
Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan or griddle to medium.
Combine the fennel, celery and scallions with half the lemon juice and just enough EVOO to lightly coat; season and top with the fennel fronds and capers.
Dress the shrimp with the remaining lemon juice, then season and coat with EVOO. Place a sage leaf on each shrimp along the line where it was deveined, then wrap each shrimp with a slice of pancetta, securing the sage. Drizzle the wrapped shrimp with a bit more of the EVOO and grill, turning occasionally, until the shrimp is firm and the pancetta is crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with the fennel salad.