- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 9 dried figs, preferably Calimyrna, stemmed and halved
- 1 3/4 cups dry red wine
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 5 ounce bag mesclun or herb salad mix
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, shaved
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 fresh figs, thinly sliced lengthwise
In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave the dried figs and 1 cup water at full power for 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a medium saucepan. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Using a blender, puree the fig mixture. Add the olive oil, brown sugar, vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt and blend until smooth. Season with pepper.
Place the greens in a large bowl, drizzle with 1/2 cup dressing and toss to combine. Mound the salad greens onto 4 serving plates and top with the manchego, hazelnuts and fresh figs.