Recipe by Mindy Fox
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
1 large egg
3 tbsp. red miso paste
3/4 tsp. lemon zest plus 2 tbsp. juice (from 1 lemon)
1 1/2 lb. ground chicken or turkey (preferably dark meat)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 tsp. grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp. sugar
1 large head Boston or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
3 cups cooked jasmine rice or other long-grain white rice, for serving
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
1. Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 450°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg, 2 tbsp. miso, 2 tsp. sesame oil, the lemon zest, and 1 tsp. salt. Add the chicken, breadcrumbs, and 3/4 cup scallions; using your hands, mix just until combined.
3. Dampen your hands and roll the chicken into 24 balls, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Arrange the meatballs on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the meatballs with the olive oil; gently turn until coated.
4. Bake the meatballs for 10 minutes. Turn the meatballs over and continue baking just until cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the ginger, sugar, the remaining 1 tbsp. miso, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tbsp. water for the sauce. In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the remaining 1 tbsp. lemon juice and 1 tsp. sesame oil. Season the salad with salt.
6. Divide the rice, meatballs, and salad among plates. Top with the sauce, the remaining 1/4 cup scallions, and the sesame seeds.