- 4 slices lean, smoky bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large can (22 to 28 oz.) spicy barbecue-flavor baked beans
- 4 scallions, whites and greens chopped
- 1 cup seasoned stuffing cubes, whizzed into crumbs in food processor
- Milk, for moistening breadcrumbs
- 1 pound ground turkey (white-and-dark-meat blend)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 3 - 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 - 4 tablespoons grated onion (grate over the meat to catch the juice)
- About 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 rounded tbsp. spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 rounded tbsp. (packed) brown sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
Preheat the oven to 450°.
Heat a small skillet over medium. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and almost crispy, about 10 minutes. In a casserole or shallow baking dish, mix the bacon and a spoonful of the drippings with the baked beans and the scallions; season with pepper.
In a large bowl, moisten the stuffing crumbs with the milk. Add the turkey; season. Mix in the parsley, egg, ketchup, onion, Worcestershire, mustard, thyme, sage, oil, brown sugar and garlic. Form the turkey mixture into 4 oval mini meat loaves, each 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. Nestle the meat loaves into the baked beans. Bake until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Top with more parsley.