- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups brown basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 drumsticks, 2 wings, and 2 thighs from 1 rotisserie chicken (preferably organic), skin removed
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
In a Dutch oven or medium pot with a lid, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the rice and cook, stirring to coat, about 1 minute. Add the stock, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. salt; bring to a boil over high. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes.
Season the chicken with the remaining 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Add the chicken to the rice, cover and simmer until the stock is absorbed, about 15 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, until the rice is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Season.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tsp. oil over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes; season. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the tomatoes and cook, stirring once or twice, until the onion is lightly browned and the tomatoes are blistered, 3 to 5 minutes.
Top the chicken and rice with the tomato mixture, parsley and almonds.