- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pints vanilla or salted caramel ice cream
- 1 4 ounce stick butter
- 3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ripe bananas, peeled and cut crosswise into 1-to-1 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup dark rum, preferably Myers's
- 1/4 cup creme de banana (banana-flavored liqueur)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons Marcona or whole regular almonds
Scoop the ice cream into 8 glasses. Freeze until ready to serve.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over high heat. Add both sugars and cook, constantly pressing and stirring with the back of a large wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until the sugars dissolve and the caramel sauce starts to bubble, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the bananas and toss gently to coat, 15 to 30 seconds. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the rum and creme de banana. Return the skillet to the heat, step back and very carefully hold a lit long kitchen match over the skillet to ignite the alcohol. Let burn for 10 to 15 seconds, then add the orange juice, shaking the pan back and forth to blend. Swirl the pan, mixing everything together, about 1 minute (do not overcook the bananas).
Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over the ice cream. Garnish with the almonds.