- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups plus 3 tbsp. fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low, lightly beat the eggs. Add 2 1/4 cups evaporated milk, the condensed milk, 1 tbsp. vanilla, the cornstarch, almond extract and salt. Beat until the cornstarch dissolves. Divide the mixture among 10 six-oz. ramekins or small mason jars.
Place the ramekins in a large roasting pan. Pour water into the pan to reach two-thirds of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until set, 45 to 50 minutes. Lift the ramekins out of the water. Refrigerate, uncovered, 1 hour, then cover and chill until cold, 2 hours or overnight.
In a saucepan, stir the chocolate, chile powder, cinnamon, 3 tbsp. evaporated milk and 1/4 tsp. vanilla over medium-low heat until smooth. Drizzle over each flan.