- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 large bulbs fennel, thinly sliced; plus chopped fronds for garnishing
- 1 bunch scallions, whites and greens thinly sliced separately
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless firm white fish, cut into bite-size pieces
In a medium bowl, crush the tomatoes and their liquid with your hands. Strain the liquid into a small bowl.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or medium dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and scallion whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 8 minutes. Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute.
Add the strained tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, strained tomato juice and 4 cups water; season with salt and pepper. (Add more water if necessary to cover the potatoes.) Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Gently stir in the fish and scallion greens and simmer until the fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the fennel fronds.