- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, gills discarded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound ground bison meat or lean ground beef
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
Using a box grater, coarsely shred the mushrooms. In a large, deep, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onion to the skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ground bison meat and cook, breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
Stir the tomatoes, black beans and chickpeas into the chili. Partially cover and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.