- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- Salt and pepper
- 2 handfuls grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more to pass around the table
- A handful of dried currants
- 3 tablespoons chopped pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced pancetta or prosciutto ends, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large head escarole, chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, rinsed
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a large bowl, season the pork with salt and pepper and mix in the cheese, currants, pine nuts and fennel seeds. Roll the mixture into 20 walnut-size balls, arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Roast in the oven until browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a dutch oven or deep skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 2 minutes; stir in the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the escarole until wilted; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the chicken stock and white beans, cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and simmer for 5 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the meatballs.