- Prep Time
- 1 pound short pasta, such as macaroni, ziti rigate or gemelli
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 slices lean bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground meat (a mixture of beef, pork and veal)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 large jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- Fresh dill, chopped (a generous handful)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
While the pasta cooks, heat the EVOO, 1/2 turn of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 3 minutes, then move the bacon to the side of the pan and add the ground meat, crumbling it. Brown the meat for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic and onion; season with the paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
In a food processor, puree the peppers until smooth and stir into the meat. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the beef broth and simmer for a couple of minutes. Stir in the sour cream and cooked pasta. Top with the parsley and dill.