Recipe by Tara Holland
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 4 lb. baby Yukon Gold or creamer potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1 stick butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Salt the water and add the garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes; discard the bay leaves. Return the potatoes and garlic to the pot. Add the butter and sour cream. Using a potato masher, very coarsely mash the potatoes. Add the milk, 1/2 cupful at a time, and mash until coarsely mashed; season with salt and pepper. Stir in half the chives. Transfer to a serving dish. Top with the remaining chives.
See all our Thanksgiving recipes for planners and procrastinators here.