Recipe by Laura Rege
This recipe originally appeared in our Harvest 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; stir until light golden, about 1 minute. Add the sweet potatoes and stock; season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
3. Pour off the drippings from the skillet (do not wipe it out) and heat over medium. Add the broccoli and 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. Ladle 3 cups of the sweet potato mixture into a food processor or blender. Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth. Stir the puree back into the mixture in the saucepan; season. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with the broccoli, cheese, scallions, and bacon.