- frying oil, 2 1/2 inches deep in long or wide pot or pan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Coleman's dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon hot sauce added with liquids
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 20 - 24 mini hotdogs, beef or pork
- 8 (4- to 6-inch) bamboo or wooden skewers, trimmed to fit in pot or fryer
- Garnishes: mustards and/or ketchup
Heat a few inches of oil in pan or countertop fryer to 350 degrees for frying.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder seasoned with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), onion, garlic into a bowl, stir in cornmeal. In a separate bowl whisk together egg, milk, hot sauce (if using), 2 tablespoons oil. Stir the web ingredients into the dry ingredients with wooden spoon until smooth.
Place a cooking rack over a baking sheet and keep oven on 275 degrees F to keep corn dogs crispy while frying. Pat hot dogs dry, skewer them then inset skewer to dip to coat and fry 2-3 hotdogs at a time in hot oil to deep golden all over, 4-5 minutes. Drain cooked dogs on cooling rack and keep them warm in oven.
Serve corn dogs garnished with drizzles of mustard or sauce of your choice.
Mini corn dogs -- this batter will coat 20-24 mini (2-3 inch) skinless hotdogs.