- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 head escarole (about 1 pound), sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces ham steak, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 large eggs
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Stir in the escarole and drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water; return the pasta and escarole to the pot.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the ham, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice and half of the cheese. Whisk in 1/2 cup reserved pasta water. Stir the egg mixture into the pasta and cook, stirring, over low heat, until the cheese is melted and the mixture is creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the ham mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup reserved pasta water; season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining cheese.