- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 leeks, white and tender green parts split lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 5 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into small chunks
- 2 packages fresh gnocchi (about 24 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cream, lower the heat and simmer until the soup bubbles at the edges. Add the chicken and gnocchi and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley, sherry, if using, and paprika; serve hot.