- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, broken into jagged pieces
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass around the table
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onion, carrots and garlic and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water, the chicken broth and tomatoes; cover and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the stoup in bowls and dollop with the ricotta. Pass the parmigiano-reggiano at the table.